Get out the Door with these quick go-to recipes!
Mornings are always a rush - and raise your hand if you’re like me and not a morning person! When it comes to breakfast, I need something I can throw together quickly without much thought. Here are five quick takes on Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwiches (or “sammiches” if you’re philosophical bent is along the lines of my sweetie). These are simple ideas, so substitute ingredients to use what you have or make them your own! Each of these describes how to make a single sandwich, so scale up for as many as you need.
- Greek Yogurt, Honey and Strawberry Sandwich
Ingredients: ½ cup Greek yogurt, Honey, Chia seeds, small handful Strawberries and blueberries, vanilla, stevia sweetener, a slice of bread (toasted or not – your chose for each sammie!). Optional: Chia Seeds
- Mix Greek yogurt, ½ tsp Vanilla, and stevia (to taste) together – the stevia will add a hint of sweetness to the yogurt. We purchase our stevia here – it’s an all-natural product and powdery, so it mixes in easily with no crunch. You can also substitute sugar or any other sweetener you have on hand.
- Slice strawberries to desired thickness
- Spread Greek yogurt evenly over bread. Optional: Sprinkle with 1-2 tsp chia seeds.
- Top with sliced strawberries and blueberries and drizzle with a touch of honey
Optional: Instead of bread, try a wrap/tortilla shell and rolling it all up to go.
- Pear, Turkey Breast, and Havarti Sandwich
Ingredients: turkey breast lunch meant, thinly sliced pear, Havarti, jam of your choice (we used Smuckers Fruit and Honey – naturally sweetened with honey), a slice of bread
- Heat small non-stick skillet to Medium. Lay turkey breast lunch meat on skillet to warm as pan heats.
- Toast bread and spread a thin layer of jam on top.
- Place sliced pear on top of jam.
- Top with warmed meat and then Havarti – allow cheese to melt a little before biting down!
- Egg and Salsa Sandwich
Ingredients: 1 Egg, salsa, shredded cheese or substitute Nutritional Yeast, Kosher salt, pepper, a slice of bread (I prefer this one toasted) - Our beautiful salt keeper can be found here.
- Heat small non-stick skillet to Medium. Spray pan with non-stick spray or a bit of coconut oil.
- Cook a single egg in the skillet to your desired preference – two minutes and the yolk will still be quite runny, so cook a little longer for a firmer center.
- Toast bread while egg is cooking.
- Top bread with a spoonful or two of salsa. Place cooked egg on top and sprinkle with shredded cheese or Nutritional Yeast.
- Top with a sprinkle of Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
If you’re not familiar with Nutritional Yeast, it’s a flaky seasoning with a cheesy/nutty taste and is a perfect substitute if you’re cutting back the calories, dairy free or vegan.
Optional: Throw a slice of turkey breast lunch meat in the skillet to warm and place under the egg.
- Cottage Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
Ingredients: ½ cup cottage cheese, sliced tomato, lime juice, shredded cheese, pepper, kosher salt, a slice of bread.
- Turn on broiler to high. Place bread on a pan to toast while prepping toppings.
- Place ½ cup of cottage cheese in small bowl. Sprinkle a generous layer of pepper on top and squeeze about 1 tsp of lime juice on top. Stir together.
- Flip your bread – don’t let it burn!
- Slice your tomato.
- Take bread and top with cottage cheese and sliced tomato.
- Place back under broiler to let the tomato heat for about a minute.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and top with cheese. Allow cheese to toast.
- Peanut Butter and Fruit Sandwich
Ingredients: Peanut Butter, fresh fruit of chose (we’re using strawberries), honey, a slice of bread
- Toast bread if desired
- Smother – yes, smother – bread with peanut butter.
- Slice fresh fruit and place on top – add mixed fruits if you want!
- Drizzle honey on top for added sweetness!
What are your takes on these ideas? What would you change? Let us know below in the comments and tag us on Facebook or Instagram with your sammiches!